Nutmeg Fiber Arts is a place to find wonderful, hand-dyed yarns, thoughtfully crafted patterns, tutorials on knitting and dyeing, fiber arts supplies that have been made for love and more!

Mystery Sweater Project

Hi all! If you saw my recent blog post, you may have noticed that I purchase 4 beautiful skeins of local wool from Hill & Hollow Farm here in Tennessee. I’ve started working with them a bit, for a mystery sweater project for Nutmeg that I’m really excited about. Here’s my progress so far. 

First, I began by making a swatch. I’ve realized over the past few years just how important it is to take the time to do a gauge swatch. A gauge swatch is crucial for several reasons. 

  • If you’re following a pattern, you can best determine what needle size you need to use with your yarn through your gauge swatch. 
  • If you’re NOT following a pattern, you’ll be able to determine how many stitches to cast on after doing a swatch
  • You’ll be able to have a collection of little squares that you can make into an adorable streamer for your house when you do a gauge swatch

To make a successful swatch, follow these simple steps:

  1. work in stockinette for 15-20 rows in your smallest needle size
  2. work the next row (on WS of fabric) as K, so that a row of purls show up on the front and create a delineation between your needle sizes
  3. switch to the next needle size up and repeat steps 1 & 2
  4. switch to final needle size (if desired) and again, repeat steps 1 & 2
  5. when finished, lightly block your swatch, so that it lies flat, making it MUCH easier to actually count stitches (see picture above)

For this project, I only did two different needle sizes for my swatch, US 6 and US 7. I decided to go with the size 6 needles, mainly for aesthetic reasons, since I’m not following a pattern on this project but am writing it myself. The size 6 needles seemed to create a more pleasing fabric with this fiber than the size 7 needles did. 

So…the project idea that I have so far is for an oversized, top-down sweater, with a large cable motif on front and back. I really loved working the shoulders in the method highlighted by CocoKnits Sweater Workshop book, so I’m starting with that as a beginning point. 

I cast-on at the back neckline, then began to place markers on the 2nd row for both my increases and my large, double-plaited cable motif. Right now, I’m increasing 2 stitches on both RS and WS, until the piece reaches my shoulder width (22″) plus 6″ of ease. I’m nearly there, I have about 6 more rows to go, I think, until I can begin shoulder shaping. I’m excited to see where this goes, and excited to share this process with you all! 

I’d love comments and thoughts below! 




Island Times